There’s a simple formula for putting together a swimwear look. Start with the swimsuit--strappy bikini or sophisticated maillot? Prints and patterns or sophisticated solids? Once you’ve got your suit sorted out, the next step is to choose accessories to compliment it—your sandals, beach bag, and coverup can all be part of your poolside story. Top it all off with a fun earring—an easy way to feel put-together without adding any odd tanlines. Below, a few ideas to stay chic when you’re à la plage this summer.
A strappy black swim top is a statement on its own, and it suddenly becomes a crop top when worn with a printed drawstring pant. Woven sandals in a bold graphic print and a gold beaded statement ear complete the look.
- Bianca bikini top, $35, everscollective.com
- Ubud Bazaar swim cover-up pants by Coolchange, on sale for $148.50, bloomingdales.com
- Tiered Beaded Drop Earrings, $65, jcrew.com
- Black/White Slides by Ilano, $98, bando.com
One piece doesn’t have to mean covered up. Side cutouts with corset-like lacing lend some sexiness to the classic black maillot. Of course, a black suit is a perfect stage for bright accessories, and fruit motifs are synonymous with summer. A watermelon straw tote is large enough to hold your beach essentials, and looks great on a matchback beach blanket. Statement earrings in a citrus hue fit perfectly with the theme—and will also look great paired with a weekday dress.
- Allison Cutout Bathing Suit, $49, everscollective.com
- Beaded Fan Earrings, $48, jcrew.com
- Summer Daze Straw Tote, $32.83, nordstrom.com
- Round Watermelon Beach Throw, $22, everscollective.com
Boho was made for the beach, and this flounce-top two-piece is an elevated take on the trend. Choose a beach throw in an indie print that pairs beautifully with the elegant mauve suit. Add a pair of gold beaded hoops--the perfect compliment to tanned skin. Finish the look with a tasseled tunic that can work as a dress on its own.
- Sienna Ruffle Bikini Set, $59, everscollective.com
- Mosaic Shift Dress, $45, everscollective.com
- Awna Hoop Earrings by Dannijo, $178, anthropologie.com
- Round Indie Beach Throw, $22, everscollective.com
Nothing says “California” like palm leaves. This graphic print looks great on a one-piece, and the strappy sides give it some unexpected sexiness. Sculptural tassel ears in a contrasting bright fuchsia really pop with this tropical print, and tie back to the colors in this bright straw tote. A lace coverup shows peeks of the bold green suit, but doesn’t have to be relegated to the beach—layer it with a tube dress and it does double duty for a night out.
- Bahama Mama Swimsuit, $69, everscollective.com
- Fuschia Crater Earrings, $185, lizziefortunato.com
- Ibiza Woven Tote with Tassel Charms by Mar Y Sol, on sale for $83.40, nordstrom.com
- Noah Tunic Swim Coverup by PilyQ, on sale for $100.80, bloomingdales.com
Now you’re ready for vacay! What’s your beach story, and where do you plan to wear it?